Karon Argue: Artist & Illustrator
Karon Argue has had to deal with a laundry list of severe medical problems over the last 20 years, but she keeps on going with a smile on her face and a kind word for everyone she meets.
She has severe diabetes, complete with complications like neuropathy, an excruciating condition where all the nerve endings slowly die off. This left her wheelchair bound for several years, but miraculously has learned to walk again, even though she still has no feeling in her legs from the knee down!
While she was down and out with neuropathy, she also wound up with a severe bacterial infection in her stomach. She dropped down to only 87lbs. She was like a walking skeleton. Her doctors confirmed that she was going to die if she didn't get the right treatments immediately.
Somehow she managed to get through this as well, thank goodness! This has left her with some additional stomach issues, which only add to the blood-sugar issues with diabetes.
And then? Blindness….
As if that were not enough for one lifetime, the diabetes also took 80% of her sight in one eye, which actually seems OK considering the vision she has now. A couple of years ago, she lost sight completely - in her GOOD eye, leaving her with 20% vision in her BAD eye only!! As a graphic designer running a print shop, this was the kiss of death to her business. She had to sell out and try to figure out how to cope with this new trial.
Onward and Upward – Always!
Karon has been through so much in only 40 years, yet she remains active in the community, a fantastic mother of three, and still, with the help of CNIB, an incredible artist and children's book illustrator.
When you see what Karon can still do with only 20% vision, or have the good fortune to experience her positivity and enthusiasm, you will undoubtedly be inspired to master whatever you may have to deal with.
Good Things Come to Those Who...Wade?
Karon's most recent challenge came in the late spring of 2013 - when her hometown of High River, Alberta was severely flooded. While Karon's home was not completely submerged, she and her husband Darren were evacuated and unable to return for upwards of six weeks.
What they returned to was a basement ruined by sewage back up, including Karon's portfolio of artwork from the last 25 years. Luckily, her latest artwork was safe and sound on the main floor!
Her story and her absolute resilience continually inspire others to carry on with their dreams, despite whatever lemons life has thrown at them. Talk about making lemonade! This is what the zest for life is all about, sink or swim!
Find out more news about Karon's journey